Thursday, April 12, 2012

Shirky's Book

I'm not entirely sure what to put in today's blog post, so I've decided to just write about what I think of Shirky's book so far.  I've never really read anything like an analysis of how the technology that has developed throughout our lives has changed how group dynamics work in our society--which is what this books appears to be.  So it's interesting, but it gets a bit dry in places, especially when it comes to communication charts and whatever Shirky called them. Some kind of power slope or something (I did read it, I swear!).  I mean, I know those things are important, but I just kind of lost interest in places. I also think it's interesting that he hasn't mentioned Facebook yet.  I know this book is a few years old, but it's not old enough that Facebook wasn't already HUGE at the time.  Facebook is probably the most significant group use of digital technology in history.  Maybe Shirky's saving that issue for later, seeing as it can get so extensive?

2 comments:

  1. I remember when Facebook first became big. The thought of getting a Facebook in lieu of my Myspace was absolutely ludicrous to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! I think that's because it was barely functional. Then, over the course of a few years, it because MUCH more user-friendly...but it seems that's becoming less and less the case...oh, and I got blocked from sending friend requests for ANOTHER week.

    ReplyDelete