Thursday, April 5, 2012

So I Got Another Facebook.

While this isn't altogether relevant to what we've been discussing in class recently, it is somewhat relevant to the class in general, and to something I've posted before...I got another Facebook.

While the old issues I've had with it in the past have been overshadowed by my reasoning for making a new profile, new issues seem to have sprung up.  First of all, I am unable to get this Timeline thing that nearly everyone else has.  If I go to the page that is supposed to have a "get it now" button, that simply isn't there for me.  It seems that certain people cannot access this feature, and I am one of them. Even if I were to use a different computer or browser, it still would not let me access this feature.  There is simply nothing I can do to get the "new and improved" Facebook.

The second issue I have is the fact that I haven't even had my new profile for a week and I am already blocked from sending friend requests.  This is because I have been requesting too many people I don't have enough mutual friends with.  But...since my profile is new, I'm not going to have many friends period, so I WOULD have mutual friends if I could add everyone I know.  Basically, I have to have friends to get friends. My ability to make friend requests and send messages are both blocked for a week now....pretty much for no other reason than that I have a new profile.  This is a problem.

8 comments:

  1. That's really strange, I've never heard of that. About the timeline, you will probably get it eventually. I avoided it, but I finally got a notice I would be switched to it permanently on April 3 whether I liked it or not (I didn't really care either way).

    About being blocked to adding friends, I'm curious as to why they set up that new system. The only thing I can think of is that they think you might be a spammer or someone creating a fake profile? It sounds almost like a social software program in Japan that is like Facebook but the only way you can become a member is if someone invites you.

    Very odd. I wonder if there is a back story to Facebook's new controlling aspect of their website.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's spam, because they won't let me send messages either, "to make sure I"m not spamming anyone" or something like that. But still, it's annoying. I'm stuck at like 40 friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I can't even message them to say "Hey, can you add me?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of the biggest complaints has been about timeline, which I don't understand, because you almost never have to look at your own profile as others would see it, and the only reason you would have to deal with it would be if you were creeping on someone else's page.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the biggest problem with the timeline is that it's very bulky for slow computers to run. It should be like Gmail where you can choose to run the basic version with a slow connection. I do like timeline aesthetically, but not everyone can use it without massive slowdown.

    ReplyDelete